The mining town Røros was added to UNESCO’s list of cultural heritage sites in 1980.
In 2010 the world heritage site was expanded to include not only the mining town, but also the old circumference that extends 45 kilometres around Røros.
The legend of the first copper find
According to a local legend, it was the farmer Hans Olsen Aasen who literally stumbled over a piece of copper ore, while hunting reindeer.
333 years of mining history
The first furnace building was completed in 1646, on the banks of Hitterelva, the river that runs through the mining town. Røros grew quickly and was built according to the fashion of traditional mining towns, where two straight parallel streets make up the centre of the town. Even internationally the existence of the growing mining town made itself felt: Money and influence in Norway and Denmark where often connected to the fortunes of Røros and the Copper Company.
Røros mining town and the circumference
The circumference is the area that was drawn like a circle. The center being where the farmer Hans Olsen Aasen was said to have shot the reindeer. The Røros Copper Company had certain privileges and rights connected to this area, among other things the rights to all the forests, rivers and lakes, the natural resources and the people’s labour.
In 2010 the world heritage site was expanded to include not only the mining town, but also two other sites, together with the old circumference it extends 45 kilometres around Røros as a buffer. The three sites are; the mining town and the cultural landscape around it, the winter route between the towns Røros and Falun in Sweden, and the old furnace building “Femundshytten” in Engerdal.